Thursday, September 11, 2008

Greece on my Mind (Moussaka)

It's been raining here in Manila...and the perrenial blue skies have turned gray. And lately I find myself pining for blue seas and blue skies, and I found a beautiful picture on the internet of Mykonos in Greece. I find myself wishing that I was there, but alas, I am here in Manila working and can't really afford a Greek vacation at the moment. So I did the next best thing, cooked a dish that would transport me to sunny Greece--Moussaka. Moussaka is made of layers of eggplant and ground beef topped with cheesy bechamel. I used a recipe I found also in the internet and it turned out real well. So now here I am, enjoying my mini-Greek vacation on a plate.

MOUSSAKAS me MELITZANES
(Moussaka with Eggplants)
EGGPLANTS, long 4 pieces
SALT
OLIVE OIL
ONIONS, minced 1 piece
TOMATO SAUCE 1 pack (200 grams)
GARLIC, minced 1 tablespoon
CINNAMON 1/4 teaspoon
BAYLEAVES, dried 2 pieces
CHEESE, grated 1 bar
BREADCRUMBS 1 cup
DRY RED WINE 1/2 cup
PEPPER, ground
BECHAMEL with CHEESE 2 cups

Wash and slice eggplants legthwise, place on tray and sprinkle with salt, leave for 30 minutes. In pan, preheat oil, add minced onions., garlic and bayleaves. Add ground beef. Cook until meat is no longer pink, season with salt and pepper. Add tomato sauce and cook for 5 minutes until dry. Take off heat amd add 1 cup breadcrumbs, mix well. Set aside. Rinse eggplant and dry with paper towels. Put on baking tray and spray with oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.In pyrex dish sprinkle remaining 1 cup of breadcrumbs. Lay eggplant on bottom. Top with meat mixture then sprinkle with cheese. Continue layering until done. Pour bechamel over and bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degrees farenheit oven.

BECHAMEL SAUCE

ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR 1/4 cup

OIL 1/4

MILK 2 cups

EGGS, beaten 3 pieces

GRATED CHEESE 1 cup

Heat oil in pot, add flour, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Add milk and add to flour-oil mixture while whisking. Continue cooking until thick and smooth. Take off heat and add beaten eggs and grated cheese. Whisk until smooth and use.

No comments: