Thursday, January 20, 2011

Banana-Cashew Cake with Salted Caramel Glaze

I love salted caramel, I can't have enough of it! Sometimes I dream about it and I'd have to say one of the most appreciated cakes I've ever made was the salted caramel cake that I made with the Daring Bakers some time ago. Eversince then, I've been on a quest to find another recipe to rival that and I think I might have found it now.

Doesn't this look delicious?? You bet it is! And it's so simple and easy to make...

BANANA-CASHEW CAKE
All-purpose flour 2 1/4 cups
Baking Soda 1 teaspoon
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Refined Sugar 1 cup

Unsalted Butter 1/2 cup, softened + 2 tablespoons melted
Eggs 2 pieces
Bananas, mashed 3 pieces
Plain Yogurt 1 1/4 cups
Vanilla Extract 1 teaspoon
Chocolate Chips 1/2 cup
Cashew, roughly chopped 1/2 cup

Cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit. Grease and flour a 9 x 2-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
Sift flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside. With the paddle attachment of your mixer, beat together the sugar, butter and the eggs until light and fluffy. Turn off the mixer, scrape the sides and add the plain yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined. Add the sifted flour mixture just until incorporated. Combine melted butter (cooled), chocolate chips, chopped cashew and cinnamon set aside.
Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared cake pan, sprinkle half of the cashew-chocolate mixture, add the remaining half of the cake batter and cover the top with the remaining cashew-chocolate mixture. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake on rack.

SALTED CARAMEL GLAZE
Refined Sugar 2 1/4 cups
Water 1/3 cup
Corn syrup 1 1/2 teaspoon
All-purpose Cream 180 ml
Salt 1 1/4 teaspoon

Combine sugar, water and cornsyrup. Dissolve over medium heat without stirring. When mixture has turned amber in color take off heat. Carefully pour the cream without splashing , this is very hot. Mix the salt. Cool the mixture a bit to thicken it and pour over the cooled cake.


We are enjoying an unusually cold January as long as it lasts. But my heart was left in Boracay where I had my vacation last October...I'm counting the days until summer, so we can have blue skies again.

That's me gazing off into one of the most beautiful beach sunsets I've ever seen :)





5 comments:

Tangled Noodle said...

This looks absolutely delicious! I love the combination of salty and sweet. Between this cake and the shots of Boracay, there's a lot to crave in this post! 8-)

Annie said...

nothing beats the powdery white sands of boracay. lovely beach, lovely cake!

chef_d said...

...one thing in common with this cake and Boracay--can't get enough!

Roxana | a trEATs affair said...

the cake sounds delicious and could hardly take my eyes away from the sandy beach, oh, how I wish it was summer already.
thanks for sharing, hope you'll have a wonderful day

Unknown said...

Ohhh I am loving this cake. Cashews and caramel, I'm sold.