Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Little Bit of Sun

I love my job...I really do but from time to time I have this urge to get away, it's the wanderlust in me. So last month, I took a short break and flew to Puerto Princesa in Palawan which is a little over an hour from Manila hoping for a little fun in the sun and this was what greeted me on the first morning:

(Cloudy skies and low tide on the beachfront of Microtel)


Thankfully the weather improved as the day went on and I had to admit I was even excited at the prospect of going to the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River National Park which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Caves aren't really my thing but the view going there was beautiful.

(Some local boys were playing basketball completely oblivious to the beautiful scenery around them)

(I couldn't resist taking a picture of the boat next to ours, with its reflection on the water)


(I just love looking at this picture with the boat in the middle surrounded by white sand and limestone cliffs)

Of course the trip also included lots of eating, including Tamilok (Shipworm) which is not actually a worm even if it looks like one but are actually long saltwater clams. We ate them pickled in vinegar (kilawin). There were Chicken Inasal places everywhere and I liked the one from Balinsasayaw Restaurant the best.

Badjao Seafront Restaurant which is a restaurant built directly among mangroves for which Palawan is known for serves delicious seafood...

(Grilled Blue Marlin with Lato also called Ar-Arosep, or Sea Grapes that bursts in your mouth with salty brine)

(Grilled Stuffed Squid, really delicious!)


So even if I didn't get the experience (no tan, no massage by the beach) I was looking for I enjoyed the sights and tastes of Puerto Princesa. The locals were very gracious and accomodating and the food was yummy!















3 comments:

Kitchen Belleicious said...

that grilled stuff squid looks like something I would order. It is beautiful and i bet so delicious and tender! Great pics- glad you had fun in the sun!

Sunshine - www.cancersurvivor26.blogger.com said...

mmmmmm....great pics

www.cancerinthecity.com

Wok with Ray said...

Love that grilled squid -- looks very yummy. Must be a nice getaway you had. Thank you for sharing.