Saturday, September 12, 2009

Chicken Curry

It's been raining non-stop here in Manila for more than a week now. Gray skies, cooler weather and the urge to just stay home and curl up in bed with a good book is on my mind all the time. But alas for mortals like me, it's not possible. But thank God for off days, when there is nothing to do but rest and recharge at home! And I can take my time and cook to my heart's content :) Today is my off day and I stayed home and cooked lunch.
There was chicken in the fridge this morning which I've been wanting to cook since the middle of the week but couldn't decide what I wanted to do with it. And today I finally decided to make Chicken Curry.
CHICKEN CURRY
4 pieces chicken thighs, cut into 2
3 pieces tomatoes, diced
1 piece onion, peeled, minced
2 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
1 small piece ginger, peeled, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
6 tablespoons yogurt, plain
4 tablespoons canola oil
salt to taste
Preheat pan over medium heat. Pan-fry chicken pieces until golden but not cooked through. Remove to plate and set aside. Drain excess oil from pan and saute onion, garlic and ginger until soft and fragrant. Add spices and cook for another minute. Pour yogurt, tomatoes and 1/2 cup of water, simmer. Add back chicken pieces and season with salt. Cook for another 20 minutes until sauce has thickened and chicked is cooked through. Serve with steamed rice.

No comments: