Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Stir-fried Tofu and Snap Peas

Im trying to go back to eating healthy these days--really trying. And now that I moved to a new place and living on my own, I think I may just make it. Back at my parent's place, the fridge was always full of tempting chocolates, cakes and other "sinful" delights which I can't resist no matter how I tried! So in my own fridge, I opted to keep these things to a minimum and stocked up on fruits, vegetables, yogurt and the like. For today's lunch I stir-fried tofu and snap peas.
2 blocks firm tofu, cubed
1/2 cup snap peas, cleaned
1 clove garlic, minced
1 piece bird's eye chili, sliced
1 tablespoon salted black beans, mashed
4 tablespoons cornstarch
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons canola oil
Sauce mixture
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon less-sodium soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1/4 cup water
Slice tofu into small cubes, dredge with 2 tablespoons flour, salt and pepper. Preheat pan with oil and pan-fry tofu until golden, drain off excess oil on paper towel-lined plate. In the same pan, saute garlic, chili and salted black beans until fragrant. Pour sauce mixture and let simmer for 2 minutes. Add back tofu, coat with sauce and pour in snap peas. Add 1/4 cup water and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Serve over hot rice.


No comments: