Saturday, August 14, 2010

THE DARING COOKS AUGUST 2010 CHALLENGE: THE WORLD OF PIEROGI!

The August 2010 Daring Cook's Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n' Bites and Anula of Anula's Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale.
It's the time of the month again for posting our challenges for the Daring Cooks and to tell you honestly this is the first time that I've ever come across a challenge that was not familiar with me at all. Yes I have heard of pierogis but they are not something that were appealing enough for me to try. We have Asian dumplings here (Chinese siomai, Japanese gyoza and Korean mandu) and we even have our own version which we call empanada which have flaky layers. But I'm glad I tried making these pierogis and I must say the recipe (number 1) that I used is very nice. I wasn't able to roll them out as thinly as I wanted to, but they worked well with the fillings I used.
For my savory pierogi, I chose Pork Adobo which is an iconic Filipino dish--they say that there are as many adobo recipes as there are cooks in this country. I rolled out my pierogi dough and filled it with the shredded pork adobo. After I sealed them, I put them in the freezer overnight, cooked them in boiling water and then I finished the pierogis in the Adobo sauce. Cooking them until they were coated evenly.
For my sweet pierogis, I used banana as my filling. I wanted to make them into Turon which are fried banana spring rolls. They are usually filled with banana and jackfruit, but since I didn't have jackfruit, I chose to mix it with nutella. This is really yummy! After filling the rolled out dough, I also put them in the freezer overnight, cooked them in boiling water and fried them in butter. After which, I sprinkled them with muscovado (raw) sugar.

Really yummy! The bananas and nutella go so well together, making this taste better than I expected. And the smell of butter and sugar is so delicious!
Thank you LizG and Anula for this challenge! I had a fun time making this pierogis, although I don't think I will be making them again.



17 comments:

shelley c. said...

Both of your flavor choices sound delicious, but those sweet ones really speak to me - banana and nutella, especially fried in butter and raw sugar - YUM. Looks and sounds scrumptious! Awesome job with the challenge!

Ruth H. said...

Banana and nutella? Wow...! I am not usually a banana fan, but this is something I would happily try! I love how you made these your own, too. Great job!

Mary said...

You came up with 2 great varieties and I would love to try them both!

Unknown said...

Oh wow these look and sound so good! I love cooking with Adobo seasoning. I would love to try both of these. Amazing job on this challenge!

Anonymous said...

OMG..your pork adobo filling is brilliant and so delicious sounding. Not to mention, your pierogi turned out beautiful..such great photos!

Now, gimme, gimme the banana-nutella filled ones, pronto! Nutella makes me weak in the knees..lol

Anna said...

Banana & Nutella pierogi! What a great idea. I'll have to try it someday.
Thank you for taking part this month.

Cheers. Anula.

Margie said...

I love your Filipino twist on Pierogi, they look absolutely delish! And I don't know what jackfruit is, but I'm sure that Nutella was a worthy partner for the bananas in your sweet dumplings. YUM!

Unknown said...

What a great twist. I didn't get a chance to make a sweet version but yours looks great.

VeggieWiz said...

oooh....banana-nutella.....always a killer combo! love it!

Becca said...

Thanks for stopping by! Your versions sound amazing! I need to try that banana + nutella combo.

Suz said...

Oh, my goodness ... banana and melty Nutella in a dumpling. I'm kind of glad I didn't know about these when I was at uni and going through a hardcore Nutella obsession. I wouldn't have stopped eating them! Hum, I might have a go at making them ... would it be safe now, I wonder? Oh, they sound so good. I love your pork pierogi too - perfect. :)

julie said...

You had me at nutella! That sweet one looks delicious and the savory one doesn't look half bad either. Really nice job! Congrats on a successful DC challenge!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Oh a sweet one, the first I see. Great combo...serve with ice cream, whip cream and nuts you could call it a banana pierogi split sundae.

Monkeyshines in the Kitchen said...

both your savory and sweet pierogis sound terrific! I love the idea of an adobo dumpling. I am dying to try it! and the banana and nutella is a perfect treat!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by, chef_d. Glad you enjoyed the challenge. Banana and nutella sound like an incredible combination. Good job!

cuppy said...

I had to do two google searches:
1) jackfruit and 2) Filipino adobo. I would have mistook jackfruit for durian and run like the wind, so I'm glad I looked it up. ;) And I think I call the Filipino adobo "slow pork" in my house! :D Thanks for the new vocab words! :)

Your dishes looked pretty before I researched them, and now they look tasty, too. :)

Marisa said...

Loving the sweet pierogies! Definitely sounds like my kind of dessert with the added chocolate. :-)