Thursday, September 1, 2011

Pastillas de Leche

I've always liked eating pastillas de leche(milk bars) , it's a Filipino candy made from 2 kinds of milk (condensed and powdered) and rolled in sugar. I've always wanted to make my own but somehow I always forget about it...until last month's Daring Bakers' Challenge which was all about candies when I suddenly remembered about it. I added chopped walnuts and almonds to my recipe to give added crunch and flavor and I used it as filling for my chocolate bonbons--it was really delicious!
The basic recipe is easy enough just combine the 2 types of milk until dough like in consistency, cut into desired shapes and roll in refined sugar.
PASTILLAS DE LECHE
2 cups powdered milk
300 ml condensed milk
1/4 cup almonds, chopped finely
1/4 cup cashew, chopped finely
refined sugar, for rolling
Combine chopped walnuts and cashew and set aside. In a bowl, mix together powdered milk and condensed milk until well blended. Knead together with the chopped nuts. Shape into a flat disk, you can rest this in the chiller for about 10 minutes. Cut into desired shapes and roll in refined sugar.
So there you have it, easy peasy! I wrapped the pastillas individually in parchement paper and stored them in the chiller but this can also be stored at room temperature.







8 comments:

Unknown said...

You pastillas look great.

Admin said...

Waah! These look SO MUCH better than my pastillas recipe! :)

Anonymous said...

They look fantastic! I've never tried one but they sound great :D

Kitchen Belleicious said...

this is crazy to me. a cookie made with powdered milk. it looks great and so delicious but totally new to me. A must try indeed.

Quay Po Cooks said...

These patillas look lip smacking!

Wok with Ray said...

So far, I haven't found a good recipe for Pastillas de Leche and I'm going to try yours. This looks good and wait until I get a hold of one of them. Okay, make that a handful, Haha!

Anonymous said...

These milk bars look gorgeous! I haven't tasted them before ANSI am now curious to try out your recipe.

cuppy said...

I loved eating this stuff growing up, but I haven't had it as an adult; I'll probably try this one, too. ;)