Monday, May 5, 2008

Genoise Cake and Caramel Fudge Icing


A slice of genoise enrobed in my caramel fudge icing...yum!
I've always been a little bit intimidated by genoise. But today I've decided to give it a try...I got the recipe from my trusty Professional Baking book by Wayne Gisslen


My candy thermometer while making caramel fudge icing. This is also the first time I'll be making caramel fudge icing after a looooooooong time :)



Caramel fudge icing running down the sides of the genoise. Wow, I didn't think I'd be able to do it but here it is!!

GENOISE (BUTTER SPONGE CAKE)
Eggs 7 pieces
Granulated Sugar 234 grams
Cake Flour 234 grams
Butter, melted 75 grams
Vanilla 5 ml
Combine eggs, sugar in a stainless steel bowl and warm over a double boiler. Take off heat, transfer to Kitchenaid mixing bowl and beat eggs with whip attachment until light and thick, this will take about 10 minutes. Add vanilla extract in a steady stream. Fold in sifted cake flour, being careful not to deflate air bubbles. I do this with my trusty whisk. Carefully fold in melted butter, do not over mix. Transfer to a greased and lined (bottom only) 9" cake pan and bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for an hour. Cool completely before frosting.

CARAMEL FUDGE ICING
Brown Sugar 750 grams
Fresh Milk 375 ml
Butter 188 grams
Salt 1 gram
Vanilla Extract 7.5 ml

Combine sugar and milk in a saucepan, bring to a boil while stirring to dissolve sugar. Continue boiling until candy thermometer reads 240 degrees F. Pour mixture into bowl of Kitchenaid mixer and cool to 110 degrees F. Turn on mixer and mix at low speed with paddle attachment. Add butter, salt and vanilla and continue to mix at low speed until cool. Beat icing until smooth and creamy in texture. Use as desired.

No comments: