Friday, February 6, 2009

Filipino Style Pesto

There was a surplus of Basil leaves at home today, hhhmmm...what to do?? Basil--oh yeah, pesto! I read on one of the blogs I follow that her Italian grandmother made pesto the old-fashioned way using a mortar and pestle which I've always wanted to try. Wonders of all wonders, my ancient mortar and pestle was still there--so off to work I went. Basil is traditionally made with pine nuts, which I didn't have at home so I substituted it with garlicky fried peanuts instead. There was also no parmesan cheese but plenty of Queso de Bola (Edam Cheese). I crushed 4 cloves of garlic (I heart garlic!), added a handful of washed and dried Basil leaves, pounded the mixture until the basil and garlic were fragrant and mashed. I spooned out some queso de bola and flaked tuyo (dried salted fish usually fried and eaten for breakfast) and poured about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Making pesto the old-fashioned way took triple the time it takes to use the food processor but the taste is unbelievably superior too! Yummy!!

2 comments:

jeng said...

can't wait to try this recipe at home. looks really delish. =)

Unknown said...

ooh, i remember that... that was yummmmmmmm... i think i finished that whole thing off... or didn't i? maybe i didn't eat enough of it, bwahahaha