Thursday, December 24, 2009

DARING BAKERS DECEMBER 2009 CHALLENGE: Home for the Holidays

The December 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was brought to you by Anna of Very Small Anna and Y of Lemonpi. They chose to challenge Daring Bakers’ everywhere to bake and assemble a gingerbread house from scratch. They chose recipes from Good Housekeeping and from The Great Scandinavian Baking Book as the challenge recipes.
It's my favorite time of the year! Christmas makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, and everything feels right...except that 2009 has been extra challenging for me in more ways than one. But still, when Christmas comes it just makes things so much better.
And now, it's that time of the month when all Daring Bakers around the world come together to rise up to the challenge! It was a pleasant surprise for me to find out that it was a gingerbread house. This is the first time I made one and I kept checking the forums for tips. I was not disappointed--everyone was kind enough to offer tips and suggestions. I did the recipe of Y and didn't have any problems with it. I made mine very simple :)
The gingerbread after coming out of the oven and cutting
I used extra pieces to hold everything together

The finished product--I have to control myself from eating some of the candies left over from decorating!

Beside the Christmas tree!
Thank you Anna and Y for choosing gingerbread house which I wouldn't do on my own but now have done so!



30 comments:

Leslie Anne said...

The Christmas tree is a perfect backdrop for your adorable house. Merry Christmas!

Kiyi Kiyi said...

Cute! I love it!
Really liked the colors you used and your icicles :)

Karen | Citrus and Candy said...

Merry Christmas! I'm so craving all the candy on your house :D

Anonymous said...

Ooh I love hte swirly candies! It looks like how I dreamed a Gingerbread forest house to look.

Lori said...

I like how you decorated. Its a very nice job. I like those pastel color candies.

Merry Christmas to you!

TaGa_Luto said...

So cute! Merry Christmas! A Proseperous New Year!

Anonymous said...

your house is adorable, well done!

Lesley said...

Oh just lovely, love your decorations.

Merry Christmas

foodielover said...

Oh wow looks wonderful.Christmas tree looks great too:)

Nitsie
Http://thefoodielovers.com

Lauren said...

What a lovely little house! Merry Christmas!!

Jill @ Jillicious Discoveries said...

What a cute house! I love the spiral lollypops that you used for the decorations!! :) I have been trying to refrain from eating the leftover candies too. :)
Merry Christmas!

Sarah said...

Great job as usual! I'm not sure what to do with my leftover candy either. MUST NOT EAT ANYMORE SWEETS. Sigh.

Y said...

Haha yes, all that candy lying around is a dangerous thing, isn't it :) Great house - I'm glad you had fun with it! Wishing you all the best for the New Year :)

Jo said...

Happy holidays and you have a fab looking gingerbread house. Love the candy colors.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done..and lovely backdrop as well

showfoodchef said...

Love the colors and style in your G-House!

Amy Green said...

I love your trees!! So cute! Congrats on a beautiful house!

Amy @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

A very colourful and perfect little house. Just right for this season.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a very Happy New Year!

Sarah said...

This is so cute. How smart of you to use reinforcing. I never even thought of that.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction said...

Very cute gingerbread house! All of the candies look beautiful!

Care said...

Love your sweet little house- especially the trees.
Best wishes for 2010!

Anita said...

Love the house! I kept eating all the lollies used to decorate my gingerbread house :)

Kris Ngoei said...

So festive! Love all the little details and colorful decoration!

Happy New Year!

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Monika said...

Your house is sooo cute and colorful! Greaat job! :)

Faery said...

Awww this house is so cute and beautiful,I kove the colors you chose.

Jenny Tan said...

Adorable gingerbread house! Those lollipop candies you used as trees looks so fun!!! I'm glad I didn't get those...don't think my kids could resist eating them! :)
Thanks for stopping by.

Anonymous said...

So cute--love the pretty pastel colors. And I know what you mean about the leftover candy!

Lisa said...

What an abosutely colorful and lovely gingerbread house! Love the sparkly lights of your tree behind it, great photo! Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year!

Olive said...

Your gingerbread house is adorable..mine collapsed huhu

Happy 2010 to you and your family! :)

Maggie said...

Great job! I always have trouble resisting the temptation of the leftover candy as well.