Saturday, December 13, 2008

My First Macarons


Macarons are fairly new here in Manila and I've always been fascinated with the variety of flavors and colors that are available. The ones I usually buy from a very popular patisserie here is pistachio. I've also eaten some Paul macarons courtesy of a friend who hand-carried it from Paris and these were smaller in size than what I usually eat.
I also look at http://www.tartelette.blogspot.com/ to gawk at her macarons. So now, that the holiday season is here I wanted to try making my own. I tried several recipes but Tartelette's was the best one, I just tweaked it a bit.
225 grams powdered sugar
125 grams cashew nuts
3 egg whites (about 100gr)
red food coloring
25 grams granulated sugar
In a food processor, process the cashew nuts and powdered sugar until the nuts are finely ground. Run through a sieve if needed. Whip the egg whites until foamy, slowly add the granulated sugar, until they are glossy. Add the red food coloring carefully. Slowly fold the nut/sugar mixture into the whites with a spatula. The mixture should remain shiny and flow easily.
Fill a pastry bag with the batter and pipe small rounds onto parchment lined baking sheets.
Let the macarons rest for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 315 and when they are ready, bake them for 12-15 minutes. Let cool, remove from the paper and fill with the ganache
.

MINT CHOCOLATE GANACHE
60 grams bittersweet chocolate
2 pieces Hershey's mint truffle kisses
45 ml heavy cream
Coarsely chop chocolates. Heat heavy cream until boiling (this can be done in the microwave). Pour hot cream onto chocolate and add the truffles. Mix until smooth. Cool ganache until spreading consistency. Sandwich between two macarons.

No comments: