Friday, October 3, 2008

Fresh Spring Rolls

Lumpiang Sariwa or Fresh Spring Rolls is a staple Filipino party food. There are usualy two variations of this, special and regular. What differentiates them is the wrapper. Regular meaning store bought wrapper and special meaning home-made egg crepes. For lunch today, I decided on making my fresh spring rolls with heart of palm (ubod in FIlipino) and home-made egg crepes. FIrst I made crepes by mixing 6 eggs, 2 cups cornstarch, 1/4 cup canola oil, and 2 1/2 cups of water. I whisked this until no lumps remained and passed it through a fine sieve to make sure it was completely smooth. Next I preheated my non-stick frying pan and poured 1/4 cup of this mixture on the lightly oiled pan. I swirled the mixture until it evenly coated the bottom of the pan, cooked it over low heat for about 2 minutes or until sides begin to pull away from the pan. I quickly flip it over with my fingers or spatula, cook the other side for about 30 seconds and slide it on a plate. Do this until the mixture is finished. This recipe will yield around 24 pieces of crepes. Set aside. For the filling, I sauteed minced garlic and onions, pork (slivered, this one I already boiled until soft) and minced shrimps, slivered carrots and match-stick sized heart of palm (also boiled until cooked but not soft). Pour in about 1/4 cup water, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. Grind peanuts on food processor. Assembly: Lay crepe on plate, line with mixed greens, top with cooked ubod mixture and ground peanuts. Roll carefully. See picture below of unrolled spring roll:

To make sauce: Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, 3 tablespoons cornsatrch dispersed in 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until thick. Drizzle over spring rolls, enjoy!

No comments: