Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Guilty Pleasure

I have completely fallen in love--it took me by surprise. Fallen in love with food, that is... I was walking at the Podium last Sunday and my sister and I decided to check out the Bakers' Fair at the Fourth Floor. We got sidetracked by Sebastian's Ice cream, a friend has been raving about it for months, but this is the first time I tried it, it was rich and sweet--just like how I was imagining it. After having our heaven in a scoop, we walked around looking at the confections. Everything was familiar, except the booth where they were just selling baklava (my sister whispered "Turkish delight") I did a double take because the smell was just enticing. And I couldn't for the life of me walk away without buying. I ended up buying a box, but since we've had our sugar fix for the day--care of Sebastian's we put it in the chiller when we got home. But before I went to bed, I saw my sister eating a piece and she said it was really good. I made a mental note to taste it the next day. Before I went to work the next day I ate a piece, it was sooooo good!!! I ate another one and another one!! I have eaten baklava before and in fact, tried making it too but this was different. Now, I always get a piece, my supply is running out. Im planning to order again...The sweet nutty centers are encased in thin crispy sheets of phyllo pastry, they're not so crispy anymore but the taste more than makes up for it...



No comments: