Thursday, October 2, 2008

Kare-Kare From Scratch--almost...

I've always wanted to make Kare-Kare from scratch, meaning--no ready made mix packet. I had to grind my own rice (as thickener). But I bought peanut butter, I didn't want to make my own. I specified Lily's peanut butter (local). I boiled beef shanks for 2 hours and tripe for another hour separately. When the beef was tender (almost falling off the bones) I strained it and reserved the liquid. I discarded the water from boiling tripe, and cut them into smaller pieces. I sauteed minced garlic and sliced onions. Added the beef shanks and tripe and covered it in annatto water (annatto seeds in hot water--then strained). Boiled the whole mixture for 5 minutes and added in my dry roasted ground rice and peanut butter. The first vegetable I cooked with this mixture was the banana heart (puso ng saging), then the eggplants, green beans and finally pechay. Simmered the mixture for around 10 minutes, seasoning it with salt and pepper.
The Kare-kare wasn't as reddish in color as others but this was fine with me, it looked more natural. I served this with spicy bagoong alamang (shrimp paste) also store-bought, and hot brown rice.

No comments: